A critical component of cycling is allowing an efficient circular path of the leg while having a stable core. In this exercise you challenge both the elements of a controlled circle of the leg and a stable core. The goal is to develop efficient power to the pedals that your does not disrupt the stability of your body over the bike. This exercise is complementary to the article Developing Pedaling Efficiency.
- Begin on your side, elbow directly under you shoulder, knee bent, and your body aligned straight from your knee to your head.
- Brace your core and lift your pelvis and torso up into a side plank position using the gluteal muscles in the back of the hip.
- Lift your top leg slightly off the bottom leg and find an alignment so that the thigh, shin and foot form a straight line.
- “Pedal” the top leg, making a slow, smooth circle of the foot, coordinating the motions of the hip, knee, and ankle. Only the top leg moves, the rest of the body stays in place.
- The circle should be just slightly in front of the bottom leg. Make the circle in the same size of your bike’s pedal path and the same amount forward of the hips as your pedals would be when on your bike.
- Do 10-20 circles of one leg, then repeat on the other side.
Take note of where it is most challenging to hold a smooth circle and adjust for a smooth motion in those ranges of motion.
When you have mastered the movement on your forearm and knee, then try it in a full hand and foot support plank.
Balanced Movement Online Programs
NEW!! Full and Half Marathon Strength & Skills Program 14-20 weeks of focused strength and stability routines to prepare you for your fastest, strongest marathon or half marathon yet -- injury-free!
|4 expertly crafted routines appropriate for all levels & in all phases of the training cycle||A perfect complement to our in-person Running Strength & Skills Class, this subscription gives you access to ALL our weekly online running workouts!|
|8 week program leading up to Little River Trail Run in January||6 month Strength and Skills program to build to a 100 mile Trail Run|
|Balanced Movement for Endurance Sports - Weekly Workouts||12 weeks of strength & skills for running on tough terrain Training for Uwharrie Mountain Run|
|9 weeks of theme-focused trail running strength & skills workouts|